MSA Star Kalkaska Sheriff Office
Records Division


Sylvia Rios The Records Division is responsible for recording and storing case files.  They maintain all incident and accident reports generated by the Sheriff's Office.  The Records Division assists the public by locating incident/accident reports, researching past incidents, and directing them to other agencies as needed.  Incident reports are retrieved and made available upon request to the public, through the Freedom of Information Act.

Hours of Operation:
The Records Division is open Monday thru Friday  8am-4pm.  Please come in no later than a half-hour before we close to allow us sufficient time to assist you.  We will extend hours under special circumstances.  We are closed on most legal holidays.

If you have a question, you may contact Sylvia Rios at (231) 258-8686 extension 410.

Once a report is received, the Records Division's function is to maintain information on the computer.  This allows Sheriff's Office personnel future access to specific information in each case.

The records are for the use of public, law enforcement agencies and the courts.  The Records Division accepts payment for public requests.  These public requests include copies of incident accident reports, criminal history /background checks, photos, fingerprints, civil process, etc.

Accident Reports:
If you require a copy of an accident report, where no arrest was made and you were a party to the accident, you may request the document by mail or in person at the Records Division by written request.  There is a $5.00 fee for all traffic crash reports (form UD-10). Incident Report and Photographs:
You may submit a written request to the Kalkaska Sheriff's Office for a copy of the report and/or photographs, as long as you were involved in the incident and criminal charges are not being sought.  Fees for a copy of an incident report will be $5.00 for first page and $1.00 for each additional page. Photo fees for regular size will be $1.00 each.

NOTE: If you are formally being charged with a crime, a copy of the report should be requested from the Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

Freedom of Information Requests:
If you are requesting under Freedom of Information Act, then you would need to use our form to make the request and submit to our office.  Detail the records that you are looking for including date, incident number, name(s) or person(s) involved.  If you are not a party in the report then you must describe your connection to the incident. This is needed to determine what might be excluded under the Freedom of Information Act, which provides protection to the privacy of individuals involved. Written requests will be responded to within five workings days from the date received by our office.  Additionally, a fee will be calculated by the rate of pay of the Administrative Assistant wage and the time involved in gathering requested information pursuant to the act.

Local Background Checks:
Local background checks are conducted by our Record's Division with a signed authorization form provided by whom ever is requesting the search. We need three (3) business days to complete.  There is no charge for this service.   Please be advised this is only a local check and does not include checking our local Kalkaska Village Police or Michigan State Police files.  In order to have a complete background check that would include any and all records within the State of Michigan, you would want to make contact with:
MSP Central Record's Division
333 S. Grand Ave.
Lansing, MI 48909

We will take fingerprints during regular business hours. The charge for hardcopy print cards is $15.00. The cost of scanned fingerprints is $65.00.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I obtain an incident or accident report?
Please contact our office (231) 258-8686 Ext.410 to see if the report is available.  If available, reports usually need at least five business days before authorized for release after the incident or accident.  During regular business hours, come to our office and show identification and pay the $5.00+ fee per report.

Can I obtain a copy of an incident or accident report by fax?
Yes, please submit your request for the report/accident in writing with the $5.00 fee and notation to fax the report, along with the needed fax number.

Can I obtain a copy of an incident or accident report by mail?
Yes, please mail your written request with the incident number, name of person involved, date, location of the incident along with $5.00 fee and SASE (self address stamped envelope).
Kalkaska Sheriff's Office
Attn:  Record's Division
P.O. Box 1119
Kalkaska, MI 49646

How do I obtain a criminal background check?
Just come into our office with your driver's license or state I.D.  We will check to see if you've ever been arrested by our agency (only) or incarcerated in our jail and will provide you with a letter stating the results, unless you provide us with a form.  There is no charge for this service.  If you need a more extensive search, please contact the Michigan State Police.

I need to be fingerprinted for a job.  Can I do that at the Sheriff's Office?
Yes.  You will need to come into the Record's Bureau at the Sheriff's Office with photo identification and $15.00 fee.

How do I obtain a proof of incarceration letter?
Just come into the office with a Michigan issued driver's license for identification.  If you've been incarcerated on more than one occasion, please specify the date(s) you need.  There is no charge for this service.

How do I pay for a traffic ticket?
Please contact the 46th Trial Court at (231) 258-9031, for payment information of tickets or to access the Courts link .

  /*********************************************** CREDIT for the Scripts used here goes to: Dynamic Drive CSS Library. Visit for these scripts and 100s more. ***********************************************/