MSA Star Kalkaska Sheriff Office
Patrol Division


Sheriff's Patch

The deputies assigned to the Road Patrol Division of the Kalkaska Sheriff's Office are well experienced in all aspects of law enforcement. They are available to all citizens and communities within Kalkaska County.

The Road Patrol Division handles calls that are dispatched from Central Communications (9-1-1). The Road Patrol works first, second and third shifts rotating days off.

In addition to the everyday responsibilities of monitoring traffic, answering complaints and intiating investigations, Kalkaska County Road Deputies often affect warrant arrests and serve civil process paperwork.

Road Patrol Deputies also perform the following checks: sex offender registration requirements, parole and probation, vacation properties and safety/welfare.

Several of our deputies have specialized training such as:

Traffic Crash Investigators:
Deputies Aaron Popa and Eric Johnson

These deputies are experts in the investigation of traffic accidents.

Traffic Crash Reconstruction:

This deputy is an expert in the area of traffic crash reconstruction. He is responsible for the investigation of all fatal and serious injury accidents. The Deputy has attended many courses that have provided him the necessary skills to accurately document the scene of a traffic crash, create scale diagrams from field notes and sketches and calculate vehicle speeds based on the laws of physics and the physical evidence at the scene of the crash.

Emergency Response Team (ERT):
Current: Sergeant Dave Wagner and Deputy Scott Griffith
Past Team Member: Undersheriff Abe DeVol

These officers are part of a multi-jurisdictional special weapons and tactics team. The ERT was created to respond to certain high risk incidents such as barricaded suspect, hostage negotiations, sniper activity, high risk search/arrest warrant service, high risk apprehension, personal protection, civil disorder and other special threat situations.

ERT members are highly trained in automatic and semi-automatic shoulder weapons, handheld weapons, less lethal weapons deployment, chemical weapon deployment, building search, high risk warrant service and close counter combat. Each member of the ERT maintains a high degree of firearms proficiency and physical ability. Training is conducted on a monthly basis.

Computer Crime Investigations:
Sergeant Pat Whiteford

This officer has specialized training in the areas of computer fraud and internet crimes against children.

Dive Team:
Undersheriff Abe DeVol
Sergeant Harry Shipp
Corrections Officer Dug Jordan

There is approximately 275 miles of streams and rivers and over 80 lakes in Kalkaska County. The individuals listed above are responsible for search and rescue operations; as well as, evidence recovery of incidents on waters within our county.

Overhead Strobe Lights

"Here comes an emergency vehicle!!! - What do I do now?"

The law specifically states, if the lights and siren are activated . . . 

You must yield the right of way!

You must drive to the far right edge of the road!

You must clear an intersection!

You must stop! 

You must stay back no less than 500 feet!

What to do?

Pull to the far right side of the roadway if possible.

If you can't pull to the right, leave room for the emergency vehicle to get by.

If you have already stopped, stay put.

After the emergency vehicle has passed you by more than 500 feet, re-enter the travel lane with caution.

Keep intersections clear, you never know which way the emergency vehicle will have to go.

Do not try to follow an emergency vehicle. 

If you come upon an intersection blocked by the police, be especially on the look-out for emergency vehicles entering the area. 

Pay attention all the time. You never know when an emergency vehicle will cross your path. It's a good idea to check your mirrors frequently and keep your radio at a low level. Keeping a window cracked will help you hear an approaching siren.

What is an emergency vehicle?

The law says an authorized emergency vehicle can be:

A fire department vehicle.

A police vehicle.

An ambulance.

Private vehicles driven by fire fighters and ambulance personnel on the way to an emergency situation.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I report an Accident?

Michigan Vehicle Code requires in section 257.622 "The driver of a motor vehicle involved in an accident that injures or kills any person, or that damages property to an apparent extent totaling $1,000.00 or more, shall immediately report that accident at the nearest or most convenient police station, or to the nearest or most convenient police officer."

Should the above pertain to your accident, or you are not sure, it is in your best interest to call and report the accident immediately. Our office is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you can reach us by calling 231-258-3350.

How do I report a crime?

Call us at our office 231-258-8686, or you may come to our office at 605 N. Birch Street, Kalkaska, MI 49646, or by e-mail through our Crime Tips Link.

How do I report a suspicious situation?

You may report suspicious situations by telephone, in person, by writing us a letter, or by e-mail through our Crime Tip Page to access .

  /*********************************************** CREDIT for the Scripts used here goes to: Dynamic Drive CSS Library. Visit for these scripts and 100s more. ***********************************************/